Mushy tamarind rice is a tangy one pot meal. It is a famous Sourashtra cuisine. It is called as mudha ambat bhath or thowra pongal. Hot hot pongal tastes divine during rain.
It is very easy to prepare. It takes 20 minutes to prepare.
This mushy tamarind rice goes well with Narthangai oorugai and Coconut Slice.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Tamarind pulp – 1⁄4 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Mustard seed0s – 1⁄2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Split bengal gram/ channa dal – 1⁄2 tbsp
- Red chili – (5-6)
- Curry leaves – (2-3) sprigs
- Fenugreek powder – 3⁄4 tsp
- Hing – 1⁄2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1⁄2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Wash and clean the raw rice and tamarind separately. Soak the raw rice and tamarind in water separately. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, split bengal gram, red chili, curry leaves, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and hing. Turn off the stove once the spilt bengal gram becomes golden brown. The red chili will become greenish black in color from the remaining heat. For tamarind rice and mushy tamarind rice the red chili should be dark in color.
- Take water in a pan.
- Allow it to boil.
- Add the soaked raw rice to it.
- Immediately add salt to the rice. The salt with make the rice to cook faster.
- Now add the tamarind pulp. Stir it well.
- Except split bengal gram add all the tempering to the tamarind rice. Turn the flame to low and close the lid. Cook it for 10 – 15 minutes.
- While serving garnish it with tempered split bengal gram.
- Mushy tamarind rice can be prepared in pressure cooker too. But it will be sticky.
- Usually the tempering is given in the same pan which is used for cooking the mushy tamarind rice. I have given separately. This is because I wanted the split bengal gram to be used while serving. The dal will be crunchy if garnished while serving.
- The seasoning can be adjusted.