Omelet is a simple and quick dish that can be prepared in minutes and served for breakfast. Here is the recipe for eggless omelet. It is equally tasty and healthy like egg omelet. It is basically very similar to Gujarati besan chila. It is vegan and gluten free.
The gram flour is the main ingredient of this veg omelet. You will get the aroma similar to that of egg omelet. Veggies can be added to improve the flavor of the dish. Feel free to modify the ingredients of the dish.
- Besan/gram flour – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Green chili – 1
- Tomato – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Onion – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, cumin seeds, black pepper powder and salt.
- Add water little by little.
- Make a smooth batter without any lumps. The consistency of the batter should be that of pan cake or dosa batter.
- Now add the finely chopped green chili, tomato(de-seeded), bell pepper, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix it well.
- Heat a skillet. Grease it with castor oil with the help of kitchen cotton cloth or tissue paper.
- Pour a ladle of the batter over the skillet and spread evenly starting from the center.
- Drizzle oil over it and allow it to cook.
- Gently press the top of the omelet.
- Flip the omelet using a spatula.
- Cook till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
- Cook the omelet in medium flame to get rid of the raw taste of the gram flour.
- Mixed veggies can be added along the tomato. Veggies like cabbage, carrot, green peas, bell pepper, mushroom or paneer can be added.
- Instead of curry leaves & coriander leaves, chopped spinach can be added.
- Green chili is optional. Red chili powder can be used as an alternative. But, green chili gives the best flavor to the dish.
- Black pepper powder is purely optional.
- Onion can be skipped if avoiding onion.