Vegetable pulao/Veg pulao is a simple recipe and it is appetizing too.We all love biryani but cannot make biryani immediately all the times. Pulao can be made quickly and easily at home within few minutes. As pulao is less spicy when compared to biryani, kids like it very much.Many kids are not eating veggies nowadays.We can make kids to eat veggies in the form of vegetable pulao. It is healthier and tastier dish.We can add many combinations of veggies for vegetable pulao.There is no age bar for eating vegetable pulao. Since it is less spicy,people of all age groups like it.
Pulao should be cooked from basmati rice only.The look,aroma and taste of the pulao lies in basmati rice only.The quality of the basmati rice varies from one type to another.Good quality basmati rice should be long when cooked.Each grains of the rice will look like vermicelli.Longer the grains of basmati richer the quality.But the cost of first quality basmati rice will be higher the the other qualities.The time taken for cooking also differs for each quality.
The general thought in case of basmati rice is that we should not over soak the rice.We should soak basmati rice for 1/2 hour.The amount of water to cook the basmati rice should be in the ratio of 1:1.5.It means for 1 part of rice we should use 1.5 parts of water.This ratio will make the basmati rice to look long like vermicelli.We can add few drops of oil while cooking the basmati rice separately so that the grains will not stick with other grains.But in case of pulao we are going to cook the basmati rice along with sauteed veggies.So i didn’t add oil to the basmati rice.
Ok!!!!Let’s start with the
ingredients and procedure for making vegetable pulao. I will update the pictorial procedure later.
- Basmati rice
- Ginger-Garlic paste
- Green chilli
- French beans
- Green peas
- Other veggies –
- Baby corn
- Sweet corn
- Fennel seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- Bay leaves
- Anise seed
- Heat Oil in a kadai.
- Once the oil is hot add fennel seeds, cardamon, cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, anise seeds and saffron and allow them to splutter.
- Then add green chili and ginger garlic paste.
- Cook till the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes.
- Now add onion and cook it it till it turns light brown.
- Next add the veggies and saute it well for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook it till the tomato mashes.
- Add required salt.
- Pour required water and allow it to boil.
- Add basmati rice and pressure cook it for 10 minutes in low flame.