Jaggery pongal is usually prepared occasionally. It is prepared during all the auspicious functions. It is called as Sakkarai pongal in Tamil and Gullu pongal in Sourashtra.
- Raw Rice(pacharisi) – 1 cup
- Milk- 100 ml
- Jaggery (powdered)- 350 gm
- Ghee- 100 gm
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Raisins(Kismis)- 2 tbsp
- Cardamoms (powdered)- a pinch
Preparation time : 45 minutes
- Take a pot or heavy bottomed vessel . Pour the milk to it. Add water immediately to it (Add 4 parts of water to 1 part of rice). Soak rice for 10 minutes. When water boils add the rice and turn the flame to low.
- Powder the jaggery. From the vessel take 2-3 ladles of water and dissolve the jaggery.
- Filter the jaggery with a tea filter and pour the syrup to the rice directly. Repeat the process until all the jaggery gets dissolved well. Stir the mixture well and turn the flame to high and cook til all gets blended. Next turn the flame to low and add ghee.
- Crush the cardamons. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a kadai, add cashew nuts and raisins(Raisins should be added when the cashews are half fried) and fry it till it bulges.
- When the rice is cooked well add the cardamons and cashew nut- raisins to it. Yummy Sweet Jaggery Pongal is ready to eat!!!