Vangi budith is another Sourashtra dish. It is very simple to prepare. Brinjal has various health benefits. It aids digestion. So many do brinjal thaalsa as a side dish with biriyani. It helps in the digestion of the meat. So few feel hunger soon when they intake brinjal.
It is a perfect side dish for Ven pongal, Mhuri pongl, Idli and Dosa. The consistency of the chutney varies for each dish. The recipe given here is home style vangi budith. Function style brinjal chutney has a slight variation from this home style brinjal chutney. In function style brinjal chutney the quantity of the tomato and onion is more than the home style.
The step-by -step procedure of the brinjal chutney is given below with description.
- Shallots – (10-12)
- Tomato – 3
- Brinjal – 4
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Corinder leaves – 2 sprig
- Asafoetida/Hing – 2 sprig
- Green chili – 2
- Red chili – 2
- Add all the ingredients in a pressure cooker.
- Add 1⁄2 cup of water to it and pressure cook it for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Take the excess water in a bowl.
- Next allow it to cool .
- Mash it with mathu or pulse it in mixer grinder. Make it a very coarse paste.
- Add the water kept aside with the mixture.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili and curry leaves to it.
- Pour the tempering over the brinjal chutney.