Pickles are famous dish in India. There are may kinds of pickles available. Lemon pickle is most popular among all the pickles.
There are many styles in preparing the lemon pickle. The recipe given below is Sourashtra style lemon pickle. It is oil-free pickle so the taste will not be changed as days passes. It goes well with Rasam rice, sambhar rice and curd rice.
Usually other style lemon pickles contains oil. Oil preserves the pickle for many days. But as days passes the taste of the pickle slightly changes due to oil. As oil is not used in this recipe the pickle taste does not change as time passes. The salt here acts as a preservative.
The ratio of the ingredients matters in the taste. The ratio is not standard as the hotness and saltiness of the red chili and salt differs.
This pickle can also be prepared in microwave oven. There will be slight difference in color and taste between the two.
- Lemon- 10
- Red chili – 20
- Salt – 5 tbsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Cut the lemon into 4 and remove the seeds. Add water and pressure cook it for 2 whistles in high flame.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the salt in a kadai till it gives a pop sound. Turn off the flame and add the red chilies.
- Transfer it in a plate. Fry the hing in same pan.(The heat left after turning off the flame is enough for the hing to fry)
- Allow to cool and grind it into a fine powder.
- Now transfer the lemon in a bowl and add the powdered content to it.
- Stir it well and keep it under sun rays.
- The pickle will be watery initially. When kept under sun rays it thickens as the moisture gets absorbed.
- But during winters we cannot rely on sun.
- During those times the pickle can be kept in microwave oven to get a thick consistency.
- Microwave the pickle for 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat it till desired consistency is obtained.