Poondu Kuzhambu is my all time favorite dish. The method of preparation is Sourashtra cuisine. It is very simple to prepare. All the ingredients are easily available.
I haven’t tried it so far. Recently i tried this and it came out well. It was yummy and divine. We really enjoyed the lunch.
It goes well with hot rice. The best combination for poondu kuzhambu is pottukadalai thuvaiyal, polta chino and pappad.
- Garlic – 18 pods
- Shallots (optional) – (4-5)
- Tamarind pulp – 1⁄4 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Kozhambu podi – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil – 5 tbsp
- Water – (1-2) cups
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds garlic pods, onion and curry leaves. Saue it.
- Mix curry powder in water to avoid lumps. Keep aside.
- Once the garlic turns light brown add the curry powder water.
- Add salt and Cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- Finally add tamarind pulp and mix it well.
- Cook till it thickens.
- Shallots can be avoided. The taste will be slightly different. Onion will not be added in poondu kuzhambu as per Sourashtra cuisine.
- If more water required it can be added while adding the kuzhambu podi mixed with water to the garlic-onion mix.
- Salt and curry powder can be adjusted as per the taste required.