Celery is imported plant. The native of celery is North America. Due to its health benefits it is used in many countries. It is generally used in salads, soups stews and roast. The stalk of the celery is eaten raw.
Celery juice reduces hypertension. It also reduces hypertension associated with pregnancy. Sprouted celery along with fenugreek and flax seeds cools entire body. Celery aids in weight loss ans digestion. It regulates the body’s alkaline balance thus reduces the acidity problem. It reduces joint pains, lung infections and asthma.
Celery is widely available in many super markets. Just gave a try with celery. It came out awesome.
Here is the recipe of celery in Indian style. Celery gravy with Indian spices turns celery into a desi dish. It goes well with chapati and rice.
- Celery – 1⁄4 kg
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 2
- Fennel seeds – 1⁄2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1⁄2tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1⁄2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a small pinch
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add fennel seeds to it.
- When the fennel seeds splutters add chopped onions to it.
- Next add finely chopped celery to it.
- Stir it well and add some water to it. Close the kadai with a lid and cook it for 15-20 minutes in low flame.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to the onion-celery mixture.
- Cook it till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Then add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to it.
- Mix it well. Cook it for 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- The celery takes long time to be cooked. It can be pressure cooked for 3-4 whistles in pressure cooker.
- The stalk of the celery should also be used. Just cut the end part of the stalk alone.
- If desired, curry powder or kozhambu podi can also be used.