Raita with fruit sounds different. It is very simple to prepare and tasty to eat.When added spices it gives a khaata meeta taste.
Pomegranate raita is a pleasant fruity raita. Fresh pomegranate kernels in a creamy sweet spiced yogurt base in a raita, that is as good as a sweet dessert. Here little sugar is added. If artificial sweetness is not preferred then adding of sugar in the pomegranate raita can be avoided.
This pomegranate raita is so good that you can have it plain. You can also serve it as a side dish with a veg biryani, veg pulao, saffron rice or even jeera rice. Pomegranate raita even goes well with indian chaat snacks like aloo tikki chole,papdi chaat, ragda patties and dahi sev batata puri. When chilled the sweet version of pomegranate raita serves as a best dessert.
- Curd – 1 1⁄2 cups
- Pomegranate – 3⁄4 cup
- Cumin powder – 1⁄2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1⁄4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 small pinch (optional)
- Chaat masala powder – 1⁄4 tsp (optional)
- Black salt or rock salt or plain salt – a pinch
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
- Whisk the curd till becomes smooth. Keep it aside.
- Remove the pomegranate kernels from the pomegranate.
- Add the cumin powder, black pepper powder, red chili powder, chaat masala powder, salt and sugar. Mix it well and allow the sugar to get dissolved.
- Add the pomegranate kernels to the curd mix and reserve some for garnish. Stir it well.
- Finally garnish the pomegranate raita with pomegranate kernels and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- If preparing pomegranate raita for kids, black pepper powder and red chili powder can be avoided.