Jam is widely used with bread. There are many kinds of jam available in shops. It has added preservatives, artificial food color and pectin.
Here is the the recipe of homemade mango jam with no added preservatives, artificial food color and pectin. So it is healthy and hygienic.Kids will love this jam.
- Ripe mango – 1 big size or 1 1⁄2 cups when chopped
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Peel the skin of mangoes and chop into chunks discarding the seed.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the chopped mangoes, sugar and lemon. Cook it in medium flame and bring it to boil.
- Once the sugar dissolves and starts to bubble up, reduce the flame to low. Let it cook further for 5-6 minutes until the mangoes get cooked, since I used mango chunks I tried to mash them with a ladle.
- The mashed mangoes will becomes thick. Cook it for 5 more minutes.
- Test your jam by taking a little in a wooden ladle and drawing a line on a plate of bowl. The strike should be firm and now flowing/ runny. Now your jam is perfect.
- Switch off and let it cool completely, you will find the jam further thickening.
- Prepare an air tight container and transfer the jam to the container and store in a refrigerator for upto 7 – 10 days.
- Enjoy the home-made jam.
- Mangoes can be blended in a mixer grinder. The puree can be used for jam preparation instead of chopped mango piece. The texture of the jam will be smooth and little watery in this case.
- Be careful in checking the consistency of the jam.
- Choose a ripe deep yellow mango variety.
- Cook it in medium or low flame to avoid burning. Also stir it at regular intervals.
- Storage is very important, make sure you use an air-tight container to store jams and keep a spoon inside the container for easy serving. Never use a wet spoon/ fingers in the jam, the life of the will become less.