Sesame has various health benefits. Here is the recipe for sesame chutney. It is very easy and simple to prepare. Sesame seeds are great source of calcium. Sesame contains copper, iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamins. They are great for health also provides daily proteins and vitamins.
This sesame chutney is different from the usual chutney. Many of us are bored out of regular chutneys. This chutney gives a different flavor to your taste buds. It goes well with idli, dosa, chapathi and even with plain rice. It can also be used as a spread for bread or as a dip for kababs and vadas.
Here I used white sesame seeds so the chutney is light in color. Black sesame seeds can also be used.
- Sesame seeds – 4 tbsp
- Red chili – 7
- Coconut pieces (medium) – 1⁄2 cup
- Tomato – 2
- Hing – a pinch
- Salt – 1⁄2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1⁄2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 2
- Curry leaves – (1 – 2) sprig(s)
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a kadai. Keep them aside.
- Heat litte oil in a kadai.
- Add the coconut pieces, red chili, hing, salt, tamarind, roasted sesame seeds to it. Saute it for 1 minute.
- In a mixer grinder, add the cooled sesame chutney mixture. Grind it into a mildly coarse paste.
- Add some water and transfer it in a vessel.
- Heat the remaining oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, split urad dal, red chili and curry leaves to it.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.
- Instead of tomato, tamarind can also be used.
- If preferred it can also be used without tempering for breads, vadas, kababs and pakodas.