Rava ladoo is an instant sweet made with readily available ingredients in home. For beginners it is a best dish to give a try. Also this ladoo serves as a maha prasadh for all time festivals.
In the recipe given below, ghee is used. Checkout notes for other variations. Also the rava and sugar is not powdered in this recipe.
- Rava/Sooji – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Cardamon – (5-6)
- Cashew nuts – 1 1/2 tbsp
- In a mortat pestle, add cardamon.
- Crush it into a fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat little ghee in a tadka pan.
- Add the cashew nuts to it and roast till it becomes golden brown. keep them aside too.
- Heat a kadai, dry roast the rava till nice aroma comes. Do not over cook the rava. Also keep stirring the rava to avoid burning.
- Transfer the dry roasted rava in a mixing bowl or plate.
- Add the sugar , crushed cardamon and roasted cashew nuts to the roasted rava.
- Mix it well with a ladle or fork.
- Next add hot melted ghee to the rava mixture. Mix it well with ladle.
- Then take little rava mixture and hold it well to make a small firm ladoo. Hold and press well and shape it into balls.
- Set aside for a few minutes and serve or store in clean airtight containers after it cools down completely. Initially it will be sighlty soft but later it will turn nice and firm.
- Do not roast rava on high flame as it will get easily burnt.
- Ghee gives nice flavor and aroma to the rava ladoo. If ghee is not preferred then add water or milk little by little to make the ladoos. The ladoos prepared with ghee can be stored upto 1 week whereas the ladoos prepared from milk can be stored for 2-3 days only.
- Roasted & chopped nuts and raisins can also be added if you wish. Also you can add some roasted grated coconut. But if you add coconuts you cannot store it for long.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar if you want a subtle sweetness.