- Aval/poha/flattened rice – 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Sugar – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- Cardamon pods – 4
- Cashew nuts – 2 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Add water to the milk. Boil it well for 5-7 minutes in low flame.
- Meanwhile, in a mortar pestle add the cardamon pods.
- Crush them well. Keep it aside.
- Now add the aval to the boiling milk.
- Next add the crushed cardamon pods to the aval-milk mixture. Add sugar to it. Cook till the aval becomes soft.
- Garnish with cashew nuts roasted in ghee. Serve it hot or chilled.
- The aval thickens the payasam soon. If desired you can serve thick aval payasam.
- If you want the consistency to be little thin then add little more water to the milk initially or boiled milk can also be added while serving.
- Make sure the aval is cooked well.
- If there is impurities in the aval, then rinse and wash the aval in water. Immediately squeeze out the excess water in hands and add it to the milk. If soaked in water the aval payasam will become soggy.