Biriyani is a favorite dish for most of the people. Eating biriyani very frequently is not good for health as it has more masala. Also, kids and elder people can’t bear the spiciness. Here is the biriyani recipe for those who wanted it to be mild.
This is my grandma recipe. She will do the same with mutton. But I tried with fresh green peas. It came out awesome.
It goes well with korma and onion raita.
Serves – 3
- Pulao/basmati rice – 1 1/2 cups
- Fresh green peas – 3/4 cup
- Shallots – (10-12)
- Ginger – a small piece
- Green chili -3
- Garlic pods – (4-5)
- Cardamon – 2
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Cloves – 3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 2 1/4 cups
- Wash and rinse the basmati rice 2-3 times. Soak it for 20 minutes.
- Peel the green peas and wash it well.
- In a kadai, add green peas, water and little salt. Cook it for 5 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Now add water, 1 cardamon, 4 shallots chopped, 1 clove, half of the cinnamon stick, 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds, half of the star anise, little salt in a pressure cooker.
- Add soaked rice and ghee to it. Cook it for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Allow the pressure to escape by itself.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add fennel seeds, cardamon, cinnamon stick, clove, star anise and bay leaf to it.
- Next add chopped ginger, chopped garlic and chopped onion.
- Once the onion turns golden brown, add slit green chili.
- Now add mint leaves and curry leaves.
- Finally add cooked fresh green peas, salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute it for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked rice in a large plate. Allow it to cool.
- Now add the green peas gravy to the rice.
- Mix it well and coat the masala fully to the rice.
- Yummy Yummy green peas biriyani is ready.
- I tried adding masala items and chopped onion to the rice. It came out very well. The cooked rice had a unique aroma.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- If you want to be little spicy, add the more masala items and green chili.
- Instead of mixing the biriyani in a large plate, it can be also mixed as how we do for fried rice in a kadai.