- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red Chillies – 2
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Take raw rice in a mixer grinder.
- Dry grind it to a rava consistency. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chili, hing and curry leaves. Saute it till the urad dal turns light golden brown.
- Next, add grated coconut to it and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add water and salt. Allow it to boil.
- Once water starts to boil add the raw rice and keep stirring to avoid forming lumps.
- Once the rice gets cooked and the water is absorbed fully, the rice mixture will become thick and solid to handle at this stage, switch it off the flame.
- Spread the mixture on a plate and allow it to cool for a while.
- When the mixture is still warm – Grease your hands slightly with oil…Then take a fistful of the mixture and roll them into a cylindrical dumpling.
- Repeat the same till the mixture gets done.
- Arrange them in idli plate.
- Steam the dumplings for atleast 10 mins.
- Serve it hot with tomato onion or coconut chutney.