- Rice – 2 cups ( I used normal ponni rice )
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/kadugu- 1/2 tbsp
- Channa dal/kadala paruppu – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Urad dal/ulundu Parupppu – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Measure rice and add it to a huge kadai.
- Roast them for 10 to 15 mins till it roast well and turn golden. Remove it to a plate and allow it to cool down.
- Now transfer it to a mixing bowl and cover it with water. Let it soak for 4 hours.
- Now drain the excess water and add it to a blender.
- Grind it into a coarse paste. Dont add water while grinding.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, split urad dal, channa dal, red chili and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the rice mixture.
- Now add in salt and coconut. Mix well.
- Take a small portion and form into small balls.
- Place them in a idli plate.
- Steam cook it for 10 minnutes.
- Serve hot or warm.