- Idli rice – 1 cup
- Whole Urad dal – 1/4 cup
- Orange Red Food Colouring – a small pinch
- Oil for Deep frying
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Wash and rinse the rice & urad dal together. Soak it for 3 hours.
- Drain the excess water.
- In a mixer grinder, add the soaked and drained rice-urad dal mixture.
- Add very little water and make it into a thick smooth paste. It doesn’t have to be very smooth, the rice will remain little grainy, that is not a issue.
- Now add some food colouring to it and mix well. The batter should be thick.
- Now make the sugar syrup, take sugar and water in a sauce pan.
- Heat it and Mix it well till the sugar is melted and bring it to boil. Boil it for 5 mins. By which time it will get little syrupy and thick.
- Now heat some oil for deep frying.
- Dip your fingers in some water, take small portion of the batter and drop in hot oil, fry till crispy and golden. It will take around 3 to 4 mins. Once the outer crust turns very crispy., drain it.
- Now dip the fried sweet in sugar syrup and soak it for 2 mins.
- Drain it and serve.
- The batter should be thick, so add very little water while grinding.
- When frying you have to fry till the outer crust gets crispy. So it stays crispy even when soaked in syrup.
- Leave it only 2 mins in syrup. It will absorb it quickly.
- You can store this in a air tight container for 2 to 3 days.