Chow chow has various health benefits it. Chayote is a roughly pear-shaped, mild flavored vegetable grown worldwide for its delicious seeds, roots, shoots, flowers, leaves and fruit. Almost all parts are consumed raw in the salad, boiled, marinated or fried. It is a copper and vitamin B6 rich vegetable which is consumed worldwide to gain more benefits and remain healthy.
This chow chow gravy is easy to prepare. It goes well with rice and roti. The step by step pictorial procedure for the chow chow curry is as follows.
- Chow Chow – 1
- Shallots – (8-10)
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic pods – 3
- Curry powder/kozhambu podi – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Hing/asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and peel the skin of chow chow.
- Wash and cut it into 4 pieces. Remove the white part in the middle of chow chow.
- Chop it into small cubes.
- In a kadai, add water, salt and chow chow pieces.
- Cook till the chow chow becomes soft. Transfer it in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn light brown.
- Add chopped garlic. Saute it for few seconds.
- Now add chopped shallots to it. Saute till the shallots turn its color.
- Next add chopped tomatoes. Saute till the oil oozes out.
- Add curry powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, hing, salt and curry leaves. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the water leftover after cooking chow chow. If required add some more normal water. Allow it to boil.
- Add the cooked chow chow pieces to it. Mix it well.
- Mix it well.
- Cook till the mixture thickens.
- Finally, garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve with white rice.