Kesari is a simple and easy sweet/dessert. It can be prepared in minutes. It suits well as a pooja prasad or as a sweet to sudden guests. Few variations can be done with rava kesari. Here is one such variation of rava kesari.
Pineapple has a unique taste. Many people like its flavor. Here pineapple rava kesari is prepared from the fruit itself. It gives the real flavor of pineapple to the kesari.
- Rava/Sooji – 1/2 cup
- Pineapple – 1/3 cup(chopped)
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
- Cashew nuts – 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
- Raisins – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Yellow food color – just a tiny pinch
- Ghee – 2 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a kadai.
- Add cashew nuts to it and fry till slightly browned then add raisins and let it bubble up.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Boil water in a kadai.
- Add the chopped pineapple pieces, let it cook in medium flame for 5mins or till it becomes slightly soft.
- Add the food color to it.
- Let it boil one one side.Meanwhile, heat a tsp of ghee and roast rava till nice aroma wafts.
- Now add the boiling pineapple water mixture to rava.This is the stage where you have to be very careful take care not to form lumps even if it forms break down.
- Once the rava is cooked, add sugar. Now it will start to loosen keep stirring continuously.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee and keep stirring till the mixture comes together as a mass.
- Now add the ghee fried cashews and raisins and switch off.
- Yummy pineapple kesari is ready to serve.
- If you want you can add pineapple essence. The flavor differs slightly.
- Cook pineapple and then add it else it will be crunchy.
- Add sugar only after rava is cooked.
- I have added 1 1/2 cups of water and boiled the pineapple mixture only for 5 minutes, so the water quantity was not an issue for me.If you boil for more , water will evaporate and will become less which will not be the perfect measure to cook rava. So if you are doubtful measure water and then add it.
- Garnish with pineapple pieces, cashew nuts and raisins.
- If you are adding yellow food color as powder then dissolve it in a tsp of water then add it, this is to ensure even coloring. If you use liquid food color then you can add it directly.