- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Butter(at room temperature) – 1/2 tsp
- Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to deep fry
- Water – as required
- In idli handa, steam cook the wheat flour for 20 minutes.
- Once it is cooled down t room temperature, break the lumps with hands
- Sieve it to remove coarse mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sieved wheat flour, red chilli powder, butter, hing, cumin seeds and required salt.
- Mix it well with your hands first.
- Now add water little by little to form a smooth nonsticky dough.
- Take your murukku press and grease it well.
- Fill your murukku press with the dough.
- Start pressing into murukkus. I pressed it in 2 ladles and dropped it into the oil.You can even press it directly into oil.
- Deep fry till golden browned.
- Drain in tissue paper.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.
- Cool down then store in an airtight container.
- You can use any press of your choice.
- Homemade wheat flour can also be used.
- The dough should be nonsticky, the texture of flour should be same like rice flour after steaming.
- If you are comfortable and can handle the heat, you can press the murukku directly in oil.
- You can even add 2-3 murukkus at a time while frying.
- You can replace cumin seeds with white sesame seeds. You can use black sesame seeds too.
- Cook in low medium flame and regulate heat as and when it goes high / low.