Beetroot is a colorful and healthy vegetable. The very common dish with beetroot is beetroot poriyal or beetroot stir fry. I used to avoid beetroot as I don’t like it. But now I started loving beetroot.
Beetroot goes well with curry rice or kuzhambu sadham. Here is the step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe.
- Beetroot – 3
- Red chili – 3
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – (1-2) tbsp
- Peel the skin of the beetroot. Wash them to remove the dirt.
- Grate all the beetroots. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal to it. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn golden brown.
- Next, add Red chili and curry leaves to it.
- Now, add salt and hing to it. Mix it well.
- Finally, add the grated beetroot.
- Mix it well and saute it for 8-10 minutes in low flame or until the beetroot is cooked well.
- Colourfull beetroot is ready to serve.
- Beetroot can be chopped into small pieces instead of grating. I personally feel grating the beetroot consumes less time in preparation and cooking.
- Desiccated or freshly grind/grated coconut can be added once the beetroot is completely cooked. It is optional. If using coconut, consume it soon.