Dal kichadi is a protein rich dish. It is not only good for health but also tasty. It can be given to toddlers also. It is less spicy. It serves as a great breakfast for a healthy start or as a evening appetizer.
I tastes dal kichadi for first time in a restaurant during a trip with friends. Thanks to the one who ordered it :p I was really divine and delicious. I immediately decided to try this for sure. This work was pending for a long time due to my back to back vacations. Ahh!!! Finally I tried, tested and tasted this yummy yummy kichadi which was exactly like the one I tasted before in the resturant.
The step by step pictorial procedure for dal kichadi is as follows. It is very easy to prepare. Also, you can prepare it in no time. It suits well for beginners and bachelors to give a confident try.INGREDIENTS
- Thoor dal/thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup
- Raw rice/pachharisi – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic pods – (3-4)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chili – 1
- Red chili – 1
- Pepper corns – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Clove – 1
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Ghee – (2-3)tbsp
- Wash and clean the raw rice and thoor dal together. Soak it for 10 minutes.
- In pressure cooker, add the soaked raw rice-thoor dal.
- Add turmeric powder to it.
- Add half of the hing to it.
- Add required water to it.
- Mix it well. Cook it for 1 whistle in high flame and (2-3) whistles in low flame.
- Allow the pressure to escape by itself.
- Mash it well with a masher or ladle.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a kadai.
- Add cumin seeds, pepper corns, clove, cinnamon stick and red chili to it. Saute it for few seconds or till the cumin seeds crackles.
- Add green chili and curry leaves to it.
- Now, add chopped garlic.
- Add finely chopped onions.
- Add the remaining half of the hing. Saute till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to it.
- Add required salt. Cook till the tomatoes becomes mushy.
- Now, transfer the mixture to the cooked rice-dal.
- Mix it well so that the onion-tomato mixture and rice-dal mixture blends together. Cook it for 3-4 minutes in low flame. Keep it stirring to avoid burning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and top with ghee. Serve hot.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.
- This dish will be little mushy. You can add 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice-dal mixture. If you still feel it dry, add little water while adding the masala to the rice.