Spicy and tangy tomato thokku recipe is as follows. This is all-in-one side dish recipe. It goes well with idli/dosa, roti and rice(rasam rice and curd rice). It suits well for picnic. It is thick and will not be messy. So no worries on leakage.
I got this recipe from my grandmother. She got it from her distant co-sister. When I tasted this thokku during my visit to hometown I loved this thokku very much and immediately asked for the recipe. It was it is list to prepare. My grandma visited Bangalore last week and wanted to prepare this tomato thokku for me. I planned to shot video.
The step by step pictorial procedure of this recipe is as follows. Check out other chutney recipes, tomato chutney, onion chutney, coconut chutney, brinjal chutney, idly shop style sambhar, ginger chutney, carrot chutney, bombay chutney, mint chutney, horse gram thovaiyal, Buna chenna idli podi, coriander seed chutney, curd plantain stem, sesame idli powder, idli batter chutney, peanut chutney, sesame chutney, thoor dal chutney and onion-coconut chutney.
- Tomato – 1 kg
- Curry leaves – 1 cup (loosely packed)
- Mint leaves – 1 cup (loosely packed)
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup (loosely packed)
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 2/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds – (6-7) tbsp
- Take water in a kadai.
- Allow it to boil. Turn off the flame.
- Add tomatoes to it.
- Allow the tomatoes to cool. Peel the skin of the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat half of the oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal and fenugreek seeds to it. Allow mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to it.
- Add curry leaves, mint leaves and coriander leaves one by one.
- Add red chili powder.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add required salt.
- Saute the mixture till oil oozes out from the tomatoes. Allow it to cool.
- Grind the mixture into a paste in mixer grinder.
- Heat the remaining oil in the kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal and fenugreek seeds to it.
- Add the ground mixture to it.
- Add required water to it.
- Saute till the mixture thickens.
- Serve or store it in refrigerator.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste required.
- The shelf life of this tomato thokku is 10-15 days when refrigerated.
- This tomato thokku goes well with idli, dosa, chapati and rice. This is All-in-one thokku.