- Plantain stem (medium sized) – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Remove the layers of the plantain stem. Wash the last part of it.
- Chop them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add urad dal to it. Allow it to turn golden brown in color.
- Add red chili to it.
- Add curry leaves to it.
- Add salt.
- Add hing. Mix it well.
- Add chopped plantain stem. Give a gentle stir.
- Saute till it is cooked well.
- Serve with white rice.
- The plantain stem will change its color once it id chopped. So, prepare the poriyal immediately after chopping. To avoid this, put the chopped green plantain stem in a bowl of water & butter milk mixture. 1 tsp of curd can also be added.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
- To chop the plantain stem, remove the outer rings of the stem. There should not be any rings. First, cut the plantain stem into thin disks.You should remove the fibers between the disks by your fingers. Then, chop the disks into a smaller pieces and immerse the same in the butter milk and water mixture as this will preserve the original color of the plantain stem.