It is summer now, which means mango season in ON. Mango lovers can enjoy the mango as such or in many other forms. Dishes, desserts, milkshakes, smoothies and etc can be prepared from mango. Here is one such dessert, mango shrikhand.
Shrikhand is a famous dessert in North India. It is prepared from hung curd. It can be consumed as such also or flavors can be added. Mango shrikhand is also known as Amrakhand as it is prepared from mango. It is very easy to prepare.
Shrikhand is prepared from hung curd/yogurt. It is kind of thick lassi, but the texture and flavor will be different from that of lassi. Do try this mango shrikhand in this mango season and enjoy with your loved ones.
- Mango puree – 3/4 cup
- Granulated sugar – 3 tbsp
- Saffron – 2 to 3 strands
- Almonds – (4-5)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Place the curd in the middle of a muslin cloth. Tie it to get hung curd. Allow the water to drain completely from the curd.
- Transfer the hung curd to a mixing bowl. Whisk it.
- Add mango pulp to it.
- Add sugar.
- Now, add cardamom powder.
- Mix it well.
- Add the saffron strands.
- Give a gentle stir.
- Garnish it with grated/chopped nuts and serve chill.
- Shrikhand can also be served without cooling.
- Any mixed nuts of your choice can be used to top the shrikhand. Usually chiroli nuts/saara paruppu is used to garnish the shrikhand.
- Pulp from sweet mangoes suits best for this dessert. If the mangoes are sour, adjust it by adding more sugar.
- Any mango variety can be used to prepare shrikhand.
- Fresh mango pulp gives better taste to this dessert. Readymade mango pulp from superstores can also be used.
- The fridge life of this dessert is 1-2 day(s).