FOR KHANDVI BATTER
- Besan/gram flour – 1/2 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Turmeric – 1/8 teaspoon
- Ginger – a small piece or 1/4 inch
- Green chili – 1
- Salt – As per the taste
- Hing – a pinch
- Grate coconut – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(Finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chili – 1 (optional)
- In a bowl, take curd.
- Add water to it. Stir it well.
- Make ginger and green chili into a paste.
- Now, add the ginger-green chili paste, turmeric powder, hing and salt to the butter milk.
- Add gram flour to it.
- Stir it well with a hand whisk to dissolve the lumps if any. Repeat till you get a smooth batter.
- Transfer the mixture to a kadai or a heavy bottomed pan. Cook it in low flame.
- Grease the back side of ( 2-3 ) large plates with oil. Instead of oil, diluted khandvi batter can also be used. Steel plates, baking tray, wooden plate or even kitchen top also will do to spread the khandvi batter.
- In a bowl, add grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix it well and keep aside.
- Parallely, have a look on the khandvi. It will start to boil and lumps will be formed. You have to stir is to avoid lumps.
- The batter thickens. Keep stirring.
- Scrape the sides and keep stirring. Do not let the batter to stick at the bottom. Do stir it continuously.
- The batter will start to gather.
- This the time to check for the consistency of the khandvi batter. Spread 2-3 teaspoon of the batter on the greased plate.
- Allow it to cool and try to roll it. The batter is still sticky and pasty. It needs to be cooked further.
- Keep cooking and stirring the batter on flame.
- Check for the consistency after 3-5 minutes.
- Hurray!!! able to roll out the khandvi now.
- Now, quickly spread the khandvi batter on the greased plates. The spread should be thin and even. Be quick with the spreading. If the batter cools down, it becomes like a blob and will be not able to spread. Go for larger plates to make the process easier.
- Allow it to cool.
- Sprinkle the coconut-coriander leaves mixture over the khandvi spread. It can be skipped. Khandvi can be served plain also.
- Cut it into equal strips with the help of a knife.
- Start rolling each strip gently and tightly. Repeat for other strips.
- Place the khandvi in a plate.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
- Pour the tempering over the khandvi.
- Tasty khandvi is ready to serve.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste. Add chopped green chili to the tempering if you want it be be spicy.
- Patience and concentration is more important in to prepare this dish. If you miss a second, then the batter may get burnt easily.
- You have to stir it continuously to get the correct consistency. Do not allow the batter to form lumps or to stick to the bottom.