Rice is the staple food in South India. There is no lunch without rice. There are many varities of curries and gravies prepared to accompany rice. Tangy curry/puli kulambu is very famous in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu.
Puli kuzhambu is very easy and simple to prepare. There are many varieties of puli kolambu. Puli kuzhambu can be prepared plain also. Here is the recipe for brinjal puli kuzhambu.
- Brinjal – 2
- Shallots – (8-10)
- Tomato – 2
- Tamarind – lemon sized
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – As per the taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and urad dal one by one in the same order. Let mustard seeds to crackle and urad dal to turn golden brown.
- Add whole shallots and curry leaves. Saute till the shallots turn golden brown.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes.
- Next, add chopped brinjal. Saute for (5-7) minute(s) or until the brinjal is fried well and tomatoes becomes mushy.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Add red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix it well. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Now, add tamarind pulp to it.
- Add required water.
- Bring it to boil.
- Cook it for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Tangy brinjal curry is ready to serve hot with steamed rice.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the taste desired.
- Brinjal can be added along with shallots for fast cooking of brinjal.
- Also, shallots can be halved for fast cooking.
- Add water if required. Cook till the desired consistency is obtained.