- Beetroot – 1
- Tomato- (2-3)
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Channa dal/kadalai paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Red chili – 4
- Salt – As per the taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chili – 2
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add channa dal to it. Roast till it becomes light brown with nice aroma.
- Now, add garlic pods and red chili to it. Saute it for few minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer the contents to the blender. Allow it to cool.
- To the remaining oil, add curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add chopped beetroot. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it.
- Add salt and hing. Allow the tomatoes to become mushy.
- Allow it to cool.
- Transfer the beetroot-tomato mixture to the blender. Grind it along with channa dal-garlic mixture.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a kadai or tadka pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves to it.
- Pour the tempering over the ground beetroot chutney.
- Colorful beetroot chutney is ready to serve.
- Adjust the seasoning as per the requirement.
- Tamarind can be added in place of tomatoes.