Green plantain fry is a very simple and quick recipe. It serves as a starter also. This is a 2 ingredient recipe. This can be made soft or crispy depending on the requirement. Fry for (10-15) minutes if you want the fry to be soft. If you want it to be crispy fry it for 5 more minutes with little more oil.
This green plantain fry goes well with sambhar rice, rasam rice and curd rice. This can be even served as a starter.
Check for other green plantain recipe…… valakka chips
- Green plantain/raw banana/vazhakkai – 1
- Sambhar powder – (3-4) tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – 2 tsp (or) As per the taste required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Was the green plantain well.
- Cut them into thin round pieces.
- In a kadai, add water.
- Add the sliced banana pieces to it.
- Add required salt to it.
- Add few drops of oil to it. Cook till the raw banana is half done.
- Drain the excess water in a colander.
- Place the half cooked green plantain pieces in a tissue paper to drain the excess water in it. Let it cool and dry for 15 minutes.
- Now, dip the green plantain pieces in the sambhar powder. Coat the powder evenly.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add the sambhar powder coated green plantain pieces to it.
- Fry it for 15-20 minutes. Flip it at regular intervals.
- Fry till the green plantain turns brown or till the desired consistency is reached.
- Yummy vazhakkai fry is ready yo serve.
- Add salt as per the taste. Add more salt than the required amount. This is because the excess salt in the water is drained.
- The moisture in the green plantain is enough to coat the sambar powder.
- The amount the sambhar powder can be adjusted depending on the level of spiciness required.
- If you want the green plantain to be crispy, add 1 tbsp of oil extra and fry it for (5-7) more minutes.
- Do not fully cook the green plantain. It should be only half-cooked.