- Puttu is a famous breakfast/snack in South India especially in Kerala. Basically, we prepare puttu from rice flour. Later many varieties like red rice puttu and ragi puttu were prepared. In this millet scenario, we prepare many dishes from millet. Puttu can also be prepared from millet.
Here is the recipe for kuthiraivali puttu. Kuthiraivali is called as barnyard in English, jhangaro in Hindi, odalu in Telugu, oodalu in Kannada and kavadapullu in Malayalam. It has fiber content 6 times high when compared with wheat. Its a gluten free millet with high calcium, phosphorus & fiber. It acts as a anti oxidant too.
The step by step pictorial procedure to prepare barnyard millet is as follows.
Check other millet recipes, samai ven pongal, mixed-millet roti, multi millet chapathi, foxtail millet jackruit idli, millet-atta cookies, finger millet murukku, ragi(finger millet) ladoo, pearl millet puttu, finger millet malt drink, pearl millet dumplings, finger millet – cocoa milk shake, pear millet porridge, finger millet kara dosa and ragi(finger millet) ball.
- Kuthiraivali/barnyard millet/jhangaro/Odalu/Oodalu – 1 1/4 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a small pinch
- Water – 1/2 cup
- In a mixer grinder, add the kuthiraivali. Grind it into a lightly coarse flour.
- Transfer the kuthiraivali flour to a kadai. Dry roast it for 1-2 minute(s). Allow it to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, transfer the dry roasted kuthiraivali flour.
- Add salt to it.
- Add water little by little.
- Mix it well. The flour should look crumble.
- The flour should hold tight when pressed with fingers.
- The flour should crumble again when tapped little harder. This is the correct consistency to make puttu. Set it aside for 5 minutes.
- In a idli handa or steamer, place the puttu flour on the plates.
- Cook it for 10-15 minutes in medium flame.
- Transfer them back to the mixing bowl.
- Add grated coconut and cardamom powder.( Here, I have grounded the coconut and cardamom pods together in a mixer grinder)
- Add sugar.
- Mix it well.
- Serve as a breakfast or snack.
- In kerala, puttu is mixed with nendran banana and served. Here, we tried with mango and tasted good and different. Here is the mango flavored puttu.
- If you feel the flour is dry, the add little water and check for the consistency.
- Instead of granulated sugar, jaggery, plam jaggery or brown sugar can be used.
- If many lumps are formed, then it can be braked with hands.
- Same procedure can be followed any puttu.