Kollu/horse gram is a less known beans variety. But due to its health benefits, it has become popular nowadays. It will taste like thattam payuru(cow beans).
It is used as a cattle/horse feed before. It gives so much energy to our body. The recipe for the kollu sundal is follows.
- Kollu / Horse gram – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 2 small
- Hing/Perungayam/asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Soak kollu(horsegram) overnight or for 8 hours with enough water.
- In a pressure cooker, add horsegram, water and little salt.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistles in high flame and 4 whistles in low flame. Allow the pressure to escape by itself. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter and urad dal to turn light golden brown.
- Next, add red chili, hing, required salt, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Now, add the pressure cooked horse gram and saute it for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Finally, add grated coconut and saute till it slightly turns brown then switch it off.
- Healthy Horse gram sundal is ready to serve.
- Add water more than the level of the level of the horse gram if making sundal alone.
- If there is excess water in the horse gram, don’t throw it. It can be used to prepare kollu rasam. The water has more health benefits.