Idli is the most common breakfast in India. There are variations in idli. Rice idli is commonly prepared. Others are rava idli, broken wheat rava idli and kancheepuram idli. Semiya idli joins the list.
It is instant type idli. No need of fermentation. The curd gives the sour taste.
It tastes good. The curd and ginger makes the semiya idli to taste different from semiya upma.
- Vermicelli – 2 cups
- Rava – 1 cup
- Curd – 2 cups
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprig
- Ginger – 1 “
- Hing – 1⁄4 tsp
- Salt – 1⁄2 tbsp
- Dry the vermicelli and rava separately. Mix them in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, ginger, green chili, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add the tempering along with curd, salt and hing to the semiya-rava mixture.
- Mix it well. Add water if required. The batter should be thick than idli batter.
- Add water in the idli handa and fill the idli plates with the semiya idli batter.
- Cook it for 10-12 minutes.
- Chopped onion, grated carrot and any other veggies of your can be added in the tempering.
- If you have roasted rava and roasted semiya then no need to dry dry roast them.