- Sesame seeds – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Ghee or Oil to grease hands
- Dry roast sesame seeds in a kadai till they pop and you get nice aroma.
- Turn off the flame. Transfer it in a plate and allow it to cool.
- Take them in a blender and crush them coarsely. Just use the pulse mode one or two times(This step is optional).
- In a pan, add jaggery and water.
- Melt the jaggery completely in water.
- Filter the jaggery syrup and heat it in a kadai.
- Check for the consistency by pouring a drop of the jaggergy syrup in water. It should be able to roll into slightly hard ball.
- At this stage, add the coarsely powdered sesame seeds. Mix it well.
- Now, add cardamom powder to it. Mix it well. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Grease your hands with ghee.
- Take 1 tbsp of the mixture, roll them into balls.
- Once it is cooled completely, serve it or store it in a air tight container.
- Keep an eye always when you make jaggery syrup. If you boil so much then the jaggery will crystalize.
- After u add the sesame seed mix, shape it into balls immediately, if you delay in that then it will be hard to roll.
- Instead of making balls you can spread the mix over greased parchment paper and spread it evenly. Then cut it into squares.
- If the mix gets hard as you roll. Heat the mixture for few seconds, the jaggery will melt so you can form into balls.
- This can be kept in a air tight container for a week at room temp.
- Soft ball consistency gives chewy ladoos , so keep an eye.When it starts to form a slightly hard ball switch it off else the ladoos will become hard it is passes that hard ball consistency.
- I used my measuring spoon to first scoop out then shape them into balls that way it was bearable to shape.
- Adding cardamom powder is optional but I recommend adding it for extra flavour.
- You can try the same with black sesame seeds too.
- The color of the syrup depends on the jaggery variety you use. You have urundai vellam which is yellow in color, paagu vellan which is reddish brown and achu vellam which is yellowish brown.`